14 May 2008

Teach me to test

In seeking to appease my recent desires to get back in to writing code, I flirted with the idea of purchasing a book on Xcode and Objective-C so I could get crackin' on some Mac dev.  With my other recent desire of cutting back on spending, I decided to check out cocoalab.com's free eBook on the topic.  While it covers the uber-basics of getting in to development, it also covers the uber-basics of Xcode, which is what I really need.  It also does this on Leopard--something no books on the market can tout yet (so I've read). So I blew through the first 6 chapters before having to attend my roomie's bday party, and am excited to get back to it ASAP. It just occurred to me though, that while the book talks about debugging in Xcode, it barely talks about testing (well, so far).  And then it occurred to me: most development books that I've ever read don't really make many suggestions about testing at all--much less about how or when to test the code you wrote.  I realize that Test-driven Development is really a suggested technique, but it seems to me that if developers at least followed these concepts, they would find more success.  Thus, if books taught how to test your code in equal doses at they taught how to write code, we might see a reversal in the economy.  :-)

No comments: